LATEST ADDITIONS TO THIS WEBSITE
click relevant page button
date news of public NHS
related activities and campaigning
date news of the NHS ACTION PARTY
THE DFNHS'S CURRENT PRIORITIES ARE:
- 1. To continue campaigning for the
restoration of the NHS as a publicly
funded, publicly provided and publicly accountable service. This means
the abandonment in England of the market based policies of the last 20
years, primarily by abolishing their key feature, the artificial
separation into “purchaser” and “provider” as has already been achieved
in the rest of the UK.
- 1. To continue to build up the strength of
the Association by bringing its policies and activities to the
attention of our colleagues.
THE NHS CONSULTANTS’ ASSOCIATION
- Was formed in 1976 by consultants with a strong commitment to the NHS and its founding principles
- Was not set up as a doctors' Trade Union
- Was not aligned with any political party
- Believes in planning and cooperation rather than market forces and commercial competition
- Functions as a nationwide pressure group covering all specialties
- Aims to present facts and arguments to the public and to the profession using national and local media
- Presents factual analysis and proposals based thereon to politicians of all parties and to other organisations
- Works with any group that shares its objectives
- Welcomes to its membership all consultants and associate specialists. Specialist registrars are welcomed as Associate Members
THE NHS IS THE ONLY HEALTH CARE ORGANISATION ABLE TO
- Provide comprehensive clinical cover and health protection for the whole population
- Remove fear that illness will result in treatment that cannot be afforded
- Provide established and innovative solutions for all types of health problem
- Plan services that can spread facilities and skills appropriately across geographical areas
- Respond to clinical need rather than commercial interest
- Promote clinical effectiveness and equity with no second class provision
- Function as a comprehensive training organization unrestricted by profit motivation
- Pursue preventative strategies such as immunisation, public information and screening
OUR OBJECTIVES ARE TO
- Restore the NHS as a publicly funded, publicly provided and publicly accountable service
- Secure fair access to health services based on needs not wants.
- Promote professional and public involvement in evidence based planning of health care services.
- Highlight current problems and controversies faced by the NHS and suggest solutions to them.
- Help consultants to engage with policy making and management
THE WAY IN WHICH WE WILL ACHIEVE THESE GOALS IS TO
- Meet with key politicians, decision makers and opinion formers, offering the views of senior professionals, whose priority is the interests of the public and who represent those working with patients in all specialties and areas.
- Present key information and arguments to the public using local and national media and parliamentary questions
- Commission or sponsor reports into principal areas of NHS policy
- Stimulate members to contribute their views and experiences
- Hold an annual conference open to all members and regular committee meetings
- Seek representation on the Executive Committee from each specialty and geographical area
- Keep colleagues informed with a regular Newsletter to assist debate and report activity